On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
On 05/17/2016 04:32 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
> <johannbg(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/16/2016 04:01 PM, Justin Forbes wrote:
>>> With the 4.5 kernel out and the merge window for 4.6 opened up, we had
>>> to make a decision on what the release kernel for F24 would be. The
>>> decision has been made to ship F24 with the 4.5 kernel with 4.6
>>> available as an update once it is ready. Timing wise, 4.6 *should*
>>> release just before the final freeze for F24, but that is cutting it
>>> insanely close. Should Fedora move on as scheduled, and 4.6 have some
>>> delay due to a bug that impacts users, that would be unfortunate.
>>> This means we have a good bit of time to make sure that everything is
>>> working as intended with 4.5 in Fedora. It also means that any
>>> installer critical fixes will need to be backported to 4.5.
>> Given that 4.6 is out and current F24 final freeze is not scheduled until
>> 2016-05-31 should not F24 be released with the 4.6 kernel?
> I think the original logic is still sound. There have been three
> delays for Fedora 24 already, in the original schedule today was to be
> GA. I don't think it's worth any risk for another slip.
So you prefer not catching potentially any bugs before final GA release but
rather expose them to the end users through 0 day update instead?
I refuse the premise that the kernel team is going to release a 4.6.x
kernel that isn't ready as a 0 day update.