Note that this proposal supersedes the Haskell GHC 9.0 & Stackage LTS
19 proposal, which was deferred to F38.
This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
== Summary ==
The GHC Haskell compiler will be updated from minor version 8.10.5 to 8.10.7,
and Haskell packages will be updated to Stackage LTS 18.28 minor versions.
== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:Petersen|Jens Petersen]]
* Email: petersen(a)redhat.com
* Name: [[Haskell_SIG|Haskell SIG]]
* Email: haskell(a)lists.fedoraproject.org
== Detailed Description ==
For Fedora 37, the GHC Haskell compiler will be updated from version
8.10.5 to 8.10.7 release (rebasing from the ghc8.10 package).
Along with this, Haskell packages in [https://www.stackage.org
Stackage] (the stable Haskell source package distribution) will be
updated to the final LTS 18.28 minor release.
Haskell packages not in Stackage will be updated to the latest
appropriate version in the upstream [https://hackage.haskell.org
Hackage] package repository.
== Benefit to Fedora ==
Fedora users will have a newer more stable Haskell compiler, tools,
and current Haskell packages from final Stackage LTS 18.
GHC 8.10.7 contains a few important bug fixes (see the release notes
linked in the Documentation section for more details).
== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
** rebase ghc to 8.10.7
** update ghc-rpm-macros to the final version for F37
** update packages to latest [https://www.stackage.org/lts-18
LTS 18] versions using cabal-rpm
** build all the packages in a Koji sidetag repo in dependency order
** push the sidetag through Bodhi to Rawhide before the mass rebuild
* Other developers: no actions should be needed
* Release engineering:
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Alignment with Objectives:
== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
There should not be any significant upgrade impact.
Users' Haskell projects will get built with ghc-8.10,7 when they next build.
== How To Test ==
* install ghc and cabal-install
* install pandoc, ShellCheck, ghcid, git-annex, hadolint, stack, xmonad
* install ghc-*-devel or ghc-*-prof or ghc-*-doc
* cabal-rpm builddep <favouritepackage>; cabal install <favouritepackage>
* test upgrades of F36 Haskell packages to F37
== User Experience ==
Users will have the newer stable minor version of ghc and Haskell
libraries and tools available to them.
This makes it easier to build the recent versions of Haskell projects.
== Dependencies ==
== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?)
** Change owner can revert back to the versions in F36.
* Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
== Documentation ==
== Release Notes ==
The Haskell GHC compiler has been updated from 8.10.5 to 8.10.7 with
some important bugfixes.
He / Him / His
Fedora Program Manager