Hey!
.NET 8 and .NET 9 will be reaching their End Of Life in November of this year (2026-11-10, to be precise): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/platform/support/policy/dotnet-core#lifec...
Like previous years, I am going to retire dotnet8.0 and dotnet9.0 from Rawhide (what will become Fedora 45 in/around November). The packages will still be available in existing versions of Fedora (up to Fedora 44). I will keep on updating them until November too. However, they will not get any more updates after November.
dotnet10.0 will stay, and hopefully we can add dotnet11.0 too.
Any thoughts, comments or feedback?
Thanks, Omair
-- PGP Key: B157A9F0 (http://pgp.mit.edu/) Fingerprint = 9DB5 2F0B FD3E C239 E108 E7BD DF99 7AF8 B157 A9F0
On 4/29/26 5:07 PM, Omair Majid via DotNet SIG wrote:
.NET 8 and .NET 9 will be reaching their End Of Life in November of this year (2026-11-10, to be precise): https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/platform/support/policy/dotnet-core#lifec...
Like previous years, I am going to retire dotnet8.0 and dotnet9.0 from Rawhide (what will become Fedora 45 in/around November). The packages will still be available in existing versions of Fedora (up to Fedora 44). I will keep on updating them until November too. However, they will not get any more updates after November.
dotnet10.0 will stay, and hopefully we can add dotnet11.0 too.
Any thoughts, comments or feedback?
Hey Omair,
Thank you very much for your attention to dotnet.
Jellyfin 10.11.x, the current stable version, requires dotnet 9.0. The main branch / next release (version 12.0) will require dotnet 10.0. Your plan won't affect the stable releases of Fedora but Rawhide is a tough decision. There is no release schedule for Jellyfin 12.0. Worst case Jellyfin would be FTBFS in F45+ until the version 12 release.
Drop dotnet8, but can you wait until just before F45 is branched to drop 9? Maybe a schedule for version 12.0 becomes available. That gives us about 4 months to decide. I may request to keep 9 (unmaintained) if possible.
Regards, Michael
Hey,
Michael Cronenworth mike@cchtml.com writes:
Jellyfin 10.11.x, the current stable version, requires dotnet 9.0. The main branch / next release (version 12.0) will require dotnet 10.0. Your plan won't affect the stable releases of Fedora but Rawhide is a tough decision. There is no release schedule for Jellyfin 12.0. Worst case Jellyfin would be FTBFS in F45+ until the version 12 release.
Thanks for pointing this out! This is good information that I was missing.
Are there other .NET using-packages that I should try and keep in mind for the future?
Drop dotnet8, but can you wait until just before F45 is branched to drop 9? Maybe a schedule for version 12.0 becomes available. That gives us about 4 months to decide. I may request to keep 9 (unmaintained) if possible.
Okay, I can delay dropping for a bit. That shouldn't be a problem. Looking at the Fedora 45 schedule, sounds like 2026-08-11 is the branch day. We can re-evaluate the situation a bit before that date.
Thanks, Omair
[1] https://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/f-45/f-45-key-tasks.html
-- PGP Key: B157A9F0 (http://pgp.mit.edu/) Fingerprint = 9DB5 2F0B FD3E C239 E108 E7BD DF99 7AF8 B157 A9F0
On 4/30/26 8:09 AM, Omair Majid wrote:
Thanks for pointing this out! This is good information that I was missing.
Are there other .NET using-packages that I should try and keep in mind for the future?
# dnf repoquery --whatrequires dotnet-runtime-8.0 ... credentials-fetcher-0:1.3.8-4.fc43.x86_64
Looking at upstream they dropped requiring dotnet in their latest release and that version (2.0+) is in F44+.
# dnf repoquery --whatrequires dotnet-runtime-9.0 ... I only see jellyfin.
Okay, I can delay dropping for a bit. That shouldn't be a problem. Looking at the Fedora 45 schedule, sounds like 2026-08-11 is the branch day. We can re-evaluate the situation a bit before that date.
Sounds good.
Hi,
Omair Majid via DotNet SIG dotnet-sig@lists.fedoraproject.org writes:
Okay, I can delay dropping for a bit. That shouldn't be a problem. Looking at the Fedora 45 schedule, sounds like 2026-08-11 is the branch day. We can re-evaluate the situation a bit before that date.
I plan to drop both dotnet8.0 and dotnet9.0 from Rawhide shortly.
Omair
-- PGP Key: B157A9F0 (http://pgp.mit.edu/) Fingerprint = 9DB5 2F0B FD3E C239 E108 E7BD DF99 7AF8 B157 A9F0
dotnet-sig@lists.fedoraproject.org