----- Original Message -----
From: "Mikolaj Izdebski" <mizdebsk(a)redhat.com>
To: "Aleksandar Kurtakov" <akurtako(a)redhat.com>
Cc: "java-devel" <java-devel(a)lists.fedoraproject.org>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 5:10:47 PM
Subject: Re: Installing effective Maven POM files
> If both effective/parent poms are installed and mvn-local/rpmbuild
> gain their "pristine" flag - there would be no reason to not rely
> the parent poms and reliable(aka reacts accordingly to changes)
> development environment will be available.
Looks like we have a consensus, finally :)
1. %mvn_install will install raw POMs into /usr/share/maven-poms
as this was always done
2. %mvn_install will additionally install effective POMs into some
other location (perhaps /usr/share/maven-fragments) for every
3. XMvn and all scripts and programs that use is (including xmvn,
mvn-rpmbuild, mvn-local, %mvn_build, Tycho) will resolve effective
POMs by default. With some option specified they will not
resolve effective POMs, but raw POMs instead.
4. Packages will *not* Require their parent POM files because it's
required by standard dependency resolution mechanism (which will
effective POMs). Packagers will need to manually BuildRequire all
necessary parent POM files if needed.
5. I will implement the described behaviour before the next Java SIG
meeting and make it available in rawhide.
6. I will identify all packages that install only effective POMs and
make the list publicly available (post it on the list).
7. This change in XMvn behaviour doesn't need to be reflected in Java
Aleksandar, is that correct? Do you agree with that?
Yes, small clarification about 4. I would live option for maven plugin packages to require
parent poms (case parent pom does contains mostly configs for the sake of devel usages)
but in general there shouldn't be other cases when requiring parent poms should be
Does anyone else have any objections about this solution?