Andrew Overholt writes:
> I am seeing some performance issues with the latest gcc rawhide RPM set.
> I tried a build of Eclipse with them and it took 650 minutes 42 seconds
> where it used to take about 20 - 30 minutes (this is just for the
> bytecode, BTW). I watched the log a bit as it built but nothing stood
> out to me as taking more time than anything else.
> My build did eventually finish, however, so I upgraded to those Eclipse
> RPMs and tried to run Eclipse. Startup is very slow. I used OProfile
> to grab some data and put it here:
> Then I reset OProfile and grabbed some data while using Eclipse for a
> few minutes. I have two small projects checked out and I cleaned them,
> opened a file (which took a very long time), moved around a bit in the
> file, closed it, and reopened it (which took much less time). Here is
> the report from that session:
> The top of both reports is similar. Here's the top of the startup
> samples % app name symbol name
> 1814289 28.7922 libgcc_s-4.1.0-20051221.so.1 __deregister_frame_info_bases
This is usually called when a library is unloaded. I can't imagine
any reason why this might happen when running gij.
The quickest way to find this is to run under gdb and see where
__deregister_frame_info_bases is called from.
I have both gcc-debuginfo and eclipse-debuginfo installed (correct nvrs)
and I set breakpoints in gdb on the top 6 or so symbols in the oprofile
report. gdb never appears to hit the breakpoints even though they get
resolved and Eclipse starts up incredibly slowly.