If you want to get involved skip to the bottom :-)
There's that time of year again...our guidelines have become unwieldy, long and
complicated as we were adding features into our stack. Time to get back to
basics... In that spirit I have started stripping stuff from our previous
draft (i.e. our current guidelines).
Most significant changes:
* Removal of several examples, templates
* Move pom_ and mvn_ macros into Java Packaging HOWTO
* Simplify filename naming guideline (and make it more lax)
* Simplify (Build)Requires section (and account for java-headless)
* Lot of other removals/simplifications
One notable thing: perhaps with the exception of java-headless change, the
guidelines are not really different from our current version. I just removed
mentions of old stuff.
As I mentioned some months ago high-level goal is this:
* Rules go into Packaging:Java and should be simple
* Best practices, tips, techniques in Java Packaging HOWTO
"How can I help?" you ask? Great! There are two ways currently:
1. Work on the Guidelines themselves. Keep in mind goal of simplicity. We
don't want a lot of "If X then A else B" parts. Current version is a
relatively quick stripping of current guidelines so expect inaccuracies
and/or outright conflicts. Feel free to edit wiki directly as you see fit.
Worst case I'll just undo your changes or we'll have to discuss them at next
SIG meeting in a few weeks
2. Send us fixes and additions for Java Packaging HOWTO (doc
subdirectory). Michal Srb and Mikolaj Izdebski have done great amount of
work already but there are several missing parts and generally *a lot* of
work ahead of us. If you can commit to javapackages git just go ahead and
claim sections you'd like to help us with.
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky(a)redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience
Red Hat Inc. http://cz.redhat.com