Stanislav Ochotnicky (sochotnicky(a)redhat.com) said:
I believe it might be nice to get everyone up to speed on what is
happening in Java world in Fedora and what is planned in near future.
1. Packaging guidelines updates
- I'd like to add guidelines for packaging compat libraries. Maven
already has support for this (see ) so I'd like to describe how
to package compat things properly. Together with unversioned jars we
already have, this is gonna make things easier. I'll add big red
"DON'T DO THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO" of course...
- Remove mention of maven2 in guidelines since all supported versions
have maven-3.x. Some other small cleanups as well perhaps
- Add optional use of %generate_javadoc macro that automates
generating of javadoc subpackages (already available for a while,
not used though :-) )
- Update JNI part of the guidelines to reflect current practice. The
guidelines are actually out of date for JNI.
- If you have things you'd like to include, please do changes directly
to  and we can discuss them later. We can always revert them if
we decide not to do whatever you come up with. Just propose
something sane :-)
2. Improvements to Maven packaging and creating of Maven repository
- Carlo de Wolf is working on new maven macros/extension that
would enable us to provide a proper Maven repository to developers
so that they can test against our Fedora versions more easily
- There are still a few questions that need to be answered, but I
believe this will be the future for us barring any catastrophic
3. Various packaging efforts
- JBoss AS 7
A F17 feature, a big chunk of JBoss AS 7 has already been packaged,
but more packages are still on the way. I am sure Marek Goldman who
is the main person driving this effort will appreciate any package
reviewers wanting to drop by. See  for current status
- Resteasy, Picketbox, Hibernate and few other things
Work being done by various people on #fedora-java. Currently some
work depends on JBoss being packaged so we'll see how it goes. It
would be nice to have some real-time status of these things I guess
so for the future I created .
If you have something to add, please do so! I CCed fedora-java, please
post replies to devel@ though :-)
Any plans for sunsetting GCJ?