I finally got persistence to work and got lots of it too.
Even got LibreOffice installed on it!
This is what I did:
1) wiped the stick with
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc
I checked with Kanguru tech support and I indeed did
flip off all my charges.
2) used gparted to create an msdos disk with a single
bootable primary ext4 partition.
3) cut the flash drive with liveusb-creator-3.12.0-1.el6.noarch.
Ran the slide bar over for maximum persistence (~12 GB on my
16 GB stick).
As of 3.11, ext4 is now supported. Yipee! See
Now if I can only get the stinker to work in every motherboard
I stick it into. Made a separate post on that one.
Appreciation to everyone that helped me on this!