Here is the Fedora Project's response to your questionnaire concerning
I am the primary contact for the Fedora Project for this event. Please
direct any future correspondence to me and I will be happy to handle
any of your requests in preparation for GITEX.
Volunteer, Fedora Project
1. What does your company do?
The Fedora Project (www.fedoraproject.org
) is a collection of projects
sponsored by Red Hat (www.redhat.com
) and developed as a partnership
between the open source community and Red Hat engineers. The goal of
Fedora is the rapid progress of free and open source software (FOSS)
and content. Public forums. Open processes. Rapid innovation.
Meritocracy and transparency. All in pursuit of the best operating
system and platform that free software
) can provide.
2. What are your company's key product lines and services?
Our key product is the Fedora Linux distribution. It comes out twice a
year or so. It's completely free, and we're committed to keeping it
that way. It's the best combination of robust and latest software that
exists in the Free software world.
Our mindset is Doing the Right Thing. To us, that means providing Free
and open source software, at no cost, freely usable, modifiable,
redistributable, and unencumbered by software patents.
3. Why is your company appearing at GITEX Technology Week?
The Fedora Project is part of the free and open source (FOSS)
movement, which is currently revolutionizing the way companies, large
and small, do business using cutting-edge information technology. We
want to encourage the use of FOSS products and approaches among the
business community in the Middle East.
4. What products or services will your company be promoting at the show?
The Fedora 7 Linux distribution is our primary "product". A
full-featured operating system and suite of applications, Fedora 7 is
also the basis for the award-winning Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the One
Laptop Per Child OS, and various other Linux-based systems. Our
"services" are enabling businesses to apply Linux and other open
source products, like Firefox web browser or OpenOffice.org
suite, to solve their IT challenges, by developing and distributing a
world-class operating system and collection of Free software.
5. What does your company hope to achieve by appearing at GITEX Technology Week?
The Fedora Project hopes to promote the further adoption of Free and
Open Source technologies in the enterprise business community in the
6. How important is GITEX Technology Week to your company's success in
the Middle East?
GITEX Technology Week is important to us because it gives us the
opportunity to meet a very significant cross-section of businesses in
the Middle East region.
7. How does your company feel about the Middle East market and the
opportunities it presents?
The Fedora Project recognizes the tremendous growth of information and
communications technologies (ICT) in the region. Free and open source
software allow companies to optimize their IT expenditures and invest
their budgets wisely. We also have a strong team focussed on
internationalization (I18N) and localization (L10N) efforts to meet
the needs of end users in this region.
8. What are your 3 strategic business objectives within the Arabian
market for 2007?
1. To promote the adoption of Free, open source software and content
in the Middle East region.
2. To promote greater awareness of all the options for implementing
3. To encourage regional participation in the development of free and
open source solutions.