On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:42:03AM +0100, Luke Slater wrote:
As you might already know, I wrote a blog post for Buzz the other
day and it gained around 109 clicks from Identi.ca and Twitter,
as well as many views from Fedora planet. We got some feedback on the
post and the main points were as follows:
* Buzz isn't all that great of a name for it.
* OpenMarketing as a proposed name for the platform (from Gerard)
* Similar to KDE Buzz and we should take a look at what they're doing
(was someone working on seeing whether the code for that was open?)
but it's sufficiently different to warrant a new piece of software.
* Marketing about marketing is a good thing!
A couple ideas regarding this service:
* We should really pick a distinctive name for this service, even if
we share code with another such service. And we should do that as
soon as possible, because names tend to stick, and it's harder to
change a name once people start using it.
* I'd be interested in knowing whether we can accomplish this service
as a module for the content management system. That way we can get
your help on that system, and at the same time you may not have to
write the entire delivery mechanism from scratch. (Yay, free
software!) By the way, here's a freebie -- if we *can* do this as
part of the CMS, then we already have a distinctive name, Fedora
Insight, and this is yet another awesome function that platform can
deliver. Insight is meant to aggregate and report content, and it
seems to me this is a natural fit for that goal.
* Once we have those two pieces of information, doing the design is
probably best as an up-front goal. I think most designers would
tell you it's easier to start with the design -- meaning you can
clearly establish your goals and requirements -- rather than trying
to change all that once the backend has already been written.
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
- - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com