(Matthias Saou) writes:
1) The current "preferred" BuildRoot which executes
"id -u" isn't
useful when used with mach or mock. I have nothing against it, I just
don't feel the need to use it... as it's "preferred", I should be able
to still use any BuildRoot value I want, right?
Yes; 'id -u' is unneeded clutter. A custom %_tmppath is much better and
2) Why the heck is there still the need for BuildRoot to be defined
each and every spec file we have!? Could we once and for all push a
sane default value into FC6 and start considering removing it once and
for all from all spec files by the time we reach FC10 or so?
To make an BuildRoot: optional/discouraged, some changes in rpm would be
* 'rpmbuild' fails to run as root
* 'rpmbuild' fails when %buildroot is empty/undefined
* rpm ships with a proper default %buildroot
* the points above are true on all supported platforms
I think, FC9 or FC10 would be a realistic target date.