Maybe you noticed I added some undeclared dependencies into your packages
recently. That's because I finally finished subpackaging Perl modules from
perl-interpreter. Now installing perl-interpreter consumes about 9 MB
contrasting to 23 MB.
Most of the changes are invisible to Perl packaging because we depend on Perl
modules, no on RPM packages. A few exceptions are a new "perl-debugger"
package with Perl debugger (executed with "perl -d") and a new
package with generic POD files (e.g. "perldoc perlgpl"). I will push Provides
for these new non-module packages into older Fedoras later. This will ease
porting Rawhide packages there.
I also moved some modules to perl-libs because it turned out that some
language features magically load modules that implement the features without
any "use" or "require" keywords. I also moved transitive dependencies
decrease the number of perl subpackages. Installing perl-libs unfortunatelly
still pulls in few other packages, mainly because of dual-lived dependencies.
I will polish it (e.g. perl-Errno) later.
I tested the change for some time locally, so it should not break many things.
I tried a scratch Perl rebuild with the split perl and it stopped on 1111 from
3192 packages. I already fixed some of them and I will contiune fixing them.
Most failures are caused by "blib" use in tests and then follows some
traditional core modules like FindBin or English that some people tend to
Thanks to this change perl.spec was somewhat simplified becuse it does not
have to list every file twice (exclude and included) in %files sections.
I also hope that Perl will be a smaller burden for the various Fedora
minimization efforts <https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/minimization/>
I pushed the change into Fedora master branch now to make my work public for
the case of unticipated events that today's world chalenges. I will build it
on Monday not to break your distribution for the whole weekend if something
went wrong with the new perl build.