On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:22:34 -0600
Michael J Wolf <mjwolf(a)us.ibm.com> wrote:
We briefly discussed priorities for Fedora 22 and I had taken an
action item to start an email conversation about this. So here is
what I would like to see for Fedora 22.
1) Get the -mcpu and -mtune flags set properly for the LE build.
Should be -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power8
done, all packages that honour the Fedora system wide compiler flags
use them, if they don't it's a packaging bug
2) Have a cloud image available
3) For BE I would like another subarch. Same packages as the current
one but tuned for P8.
you mean in addition to ppc64p7? can't we just switch ppc64p7 from
-mcpu=power7 -mtune=power7 to -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power8?
4) Looking into if we can get Docker enabled for POWER. I will send
out further emails about this as
soon as I know more about the current development state
5) Start the ground work for a workstation release. But I think we
should target the release for Fedora-23.
yeah, the deadlines in F-22 won't give us enough time to work on it
I seem to remember hearing that there is a quite a lot of work
involved to get this build going.
we should have almost everything built (eg. LibreOffice is known to fail
to build), but it's not tested and if broken, it will need to be fixed
One thing to not forgot is that also the mainline kernel needs to have
the necessary support for the workstation class hw.