Just a quick heads up, i've updated the hercules image for Fedora 11 the
last few days and uploaded it yesterday.
I've done the following changes:
- Update to latest and greatest packages (newest kernel etc)
- Dropped all the mkinitrd hacks, works without them now!
- Added development-libs and development-tools to the installation
- Minor fixes and changes to the hercules.cnf file
- Updated documentation
- Switched the image from a compressed dasd to an uncompressed one
The last point affects performance drastically as the limiting factor
was mainly the CPU, and compressing and uncompressing each and every
block every time it's read or written to a DASD really ate a lot of that
away. Bootup is now noticeably faster as is compiling or any other disk
related work. The side effect of this all though is that you will now
need around 9GB disk space available for the uncompressed DASD image.
Fortunately compressed it's only 640MB at the moment, so marginally
bigger than the old one.
As usual the docu, config files and images can be found here:
Thanks & regards, Phil
Philipp Knirsch | Tel.: +49-711-96437-470
Team Lead Core Services | Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH | Email: Phil Knirsch <pknirsch(a)redhat.com>
Hauptstaetterstr. 58 | Web: http://www.redhat.com/
D-70178 Stuttgart, Germany
Motd: You're only jealous cos the little penguins are talking to me.