We recently found out that there were some significant problems with
PackageKit and things that use it (GNOME Software, Apper, gnome-
packagekit...) in Fedora 21, since the release of libhif-0.1.7 as an
update shortly after F21 came out. The initial bug people noticed was
offline updates failing to work, but in subsequent testing we found
that regular package install and remove operations could cause crashes
in PackageKit-based apps and it was possible for the PackageKit
database to be corrupted.
It would be great if folks could, as a matter of urgency, test this
Please install the updated packages, reboot (or at least restart the
packagekit service), run 'pkcon repair' as root, reboot again, and
then test regular use of GNOME Software and pkcon as much as possible -
try installing and removing packages, running offline updates, and so
on. If your package set is up to date you can try downgrading a
package in order to test offline updates - try 'yum downgrade
devassistant', for instance, if you have it installed, then check for
updates in GNOME Software.
As the bugs were pretty serious we'd like to release the fix as soon
as possible, but at the same time we want to make sure we tested it
Thanks folks! And thanks a lot to Richard Hughes for working to fix
this quickly, and Kamil for doing a lot of testing on it.
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin . net