I have been using Fedora since the beginning and only on a few occasions
have I tried fedup or equivalent when upgrading from one version to the
next - mostly, being a bit obsessive, I have re-installed from scratch
with a XFCE Live CD and reinstalled my Qmail MTA etc etc. So, although
the initial install of the OS was always very quick, I was still
installing odd, infrequently used packages weeks and even months later.
Just now I bit the bullet and for the first time tried the new option:
dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=23
and from rebooting F22 to the new F23 login prompt took just 48 minutes!
Well done and thanks a lot everyone concerned with Fedora development!
It is a great system!
During the 48 minutes I was a little anxious and kept watching the drive
LED and the occasional screen messages to make sure things were still
working but the process eventually finished happily - I did notice some
"failed" messages during the process but of what I saw it didn't look
like they were likely to bother me much - we shall see . .
PO Box 896
Cowra NSW 2794
On Friday, I upgraded my server from Fedora 21 to Fedora 22 using fedup.
This resulted in a number of issues; one of which was that amavisd stopped
working due to a raft of PERL errors.
Apparently the upgrade from PERL 5.18 to 5.20 which came as part of the Fedora
upgrade causes many/most PERL modules to break.
Initially I tried cpan upgrade but this was only partially successful but the
error messages suggested installing something - which I did but forgot to
write down what it was - that got me a bit further.
At this stage there were a number of PERL modules required by amavisd that had
disappeared so needed reinstalling via cpan.
The installation processes went OK until it came to Net::LibIDN.
This module would not install because it claimed that libidn was not installed.
Libidn was installed but apparently the version was not compatible with
something (not a problem in 21) so I downloaded the latest source and
installed it in/usr/local.
This enabled Net::LibIDN to install but there were still a bunch of other
modules that had disappeared at some earlier stage.
Following the error messages from amavisd startup attempts and installing the
required modules eventually got amavisd going again.
I have no idea how to simplify this upgrade. Maybe uninstalling PERL and
amavisd then reinstalling might work but after three days of no spam/virus
filtering I'm not about to try.