I know we've got some new members on the list (some from the arts team)
I was wondering if someone could design a fresh, nice looking page for a
new website, spins.fedoraproject.org which will be a community based
I have added myself to the EditGroup Queue and was wondering if someone could approve?
Thanks in advance.
News, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Get it now!
I hope I am doing this right, but I am sure someone will let me know if I am not.
My name is Art Abate and I have just signed up with the Fedora Project.
I reside in the Eastern states (EST) and have lived here all my life.
I have roughly 15 years experience in the IT field, with a majority of that in the Systems/Network administration area. (Primarily in the Windows space)
5 or 6 years ago I started to redirect my attention and efforts more towards Open Source; specifically Linux. (Good move on my part!)
As mentioned, my skills include system and network administration and troubleshooting, and also website creation and maintenance.
I have a good working background in routers, switches, (CCNA, CCNP certified), systems administration (Microsoft and Red Hat) and network troubleshooting.(capture analysis)
My software skills are in Apache, PHP, MySQL, some C programming, and a few scripting languages.
In a nutshell, I believe I have sat back and watched long enough, and would like to contribute. For years now I have enjoyed the fruits of other people's hard work with Linux, and keeping it alive and fresh, so now I would like to return what I can to the community in any way I can.
I would be happy to assist in anyway I can, and hopefully be able to learn more. I have started learning Python a little better, so I hope that helps.
I do have test servers in my possession and more than willing to put them to work as needed.
As a couple of personal notes, I have to admit I have acquired 2 addictions over the past few years; Mountain Dew and Linux! Yes, I do sleep occasionally.
I have also built and maintained many of my own personal websites. The most recent I have just started to work on is linuxnation.org. I have high hopes for this site and would like to take it as far as it can go.
When I am not in front of a server "playing", I also enjoy getting out on my 07 Heritage Softail. My wife and I enjoy just getting away, even for just a few hours, and coming back with a fresh new perspective on things.
I am still fumbling around with the other parts of getting added to the EditGroup and adding myself as a contributor, but I am thinking maybe that comes after this part. Not sure, so any help would be appreicated.
Thank you all for your time in reading this, and I am very excited to finally be a real part of the community I have watched grow and flourish over the years.
If you require ANY further information, please do not hesitate to ask.
Explore the seven wonders of the world
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> I wanted to help with design...
> But if you say no...
If you want to help throw something together (and can do mockups
quickly) we'd greatly appreciate it. The design requirements as I know
:: big breath ::
- search box must only be on start.fedoraproject.org and
search.fedoraproject.org (not other properties like
- search box can't be directly incorporated into a client application
(e.g. firefox search toolbar) without amending agreement
- can't provide substantially equivalent search or ad results from
another search or ad provider on these 2 properties while agreement in
place (initial term: 2 years)
- can't co-mingle search capability with pornographic, hate-related,
violent, or illegal content on these properties
- must comply with search provider's brand usage, copyright, and
trademark guidelines (details provided at URL), including showing an
appropriate search partner logo on all search and result pages, at
least 75x32 pixels above the fold (see mockup for example of how we
fulfill this requirement)
There are further restrictions on implementation of search results
page (hosted by Red Hat):
- search results and ads can only be displayed on
start.fedoraproject.org and search.fedoraproject.org
- can't edit, modify, truncate, filter, or change the order of search
results or ads returned
- can't co-mingle search results or ads from search provider with
those not from search provider
- can't modify search terms from users before passing on with search request
- must pass end user IP address and user agent in addition to search
terms with request
- can't frame the results page or destination pages (e.g. HTML frame or iframe)
- can't monkey with destination page URLs (e.g. to add redirect page,
insert interstitial page ad, etc)
- can't implement click tracking of ads or search results
- can't display search results or ads in pop-up, pop-under, exit
windows, expanding buttons, animation, or other funky/scammy stuff
- can't return search results or ads to parties other than real human
end users (e.g. the search provider doesn't provide a free web
services search API, and thus we can't provide one using their
- can't inhibit the display of search results or ads on result pages
- result page must display 2 wide format ads and 5 narrow format ads
(if available for search term) above the fold on an 800x600 browser
- ads must be explicitly marked as "sponsored links"
- can't re-sell the search or ad service
- can't generate automatic or fraudulent queries or ad clicks
- can't encourage end users to click on ads by offering incentives or
other methods that are deceptive or fraudulent
- can't cache search results or ads in a non-transitory manner
If you think you can whip up something for our start page, please do so
and soon. Unfortunately the agreement isn't done yet but it would be
good to get some looks together. I've CC'd the websites team so they
know as well.