[Fedora-directory-devel] Re: Samba4 onto Fedora DS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 23 02:37:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 18:49 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:54:05 -0700 From: Pete Rowley
> > <prowley at redhat.com> Andrew Bartlett wrote: On Tue, 2006-08-22 at

> > The problem is the list of broken things is open ended. Perhaps we
> > should drill down on a specific example (like the "person" objectclass
> > and associated attributes) and look at what is different. At least that
> > will make sure we are all talking about the same thing and the folks on
> > the list might have more targetted suggestions.
> >
> > Though, I thought the plan was to make the DS look like AD through
> > Sambas lens?  Are we just talking about an interim development situation
> > until you add the "lens"? If so, I say break what you like. Otherwise I
> > would have big concerns about integration with existing DS deployments.
> Ultimately, if you need to make a clone of AD in order to satisfy
> Windows clients, you are going to have to break the existing LDAP
> standards the same way Microsoft did. You pretty much need bug-for-bug
> compatibility, otherwise some random MS app will come along later and
> break.

I suppose the fact that I've been doing this for years in every other
protocol is why I don't find the notion quite so shocking :-)

> This means doing such ugly things as requiring "cn" to be single-
> valued, etc. etc. Consider that Microsoft redefines the "top"
> objectclass to contain a plethora of attributes; it all goes downhill
> from there.

I'm not sure redefining top is the worst of them.  If I am backing onto
a standards-compliant server, and trying to put the worst of the
non-standard behaviour in Samba4, then I think I can create an ms_top
auxillary class for the attributes I can't map/invent etc.

Downhill is things like redefining 'person' without 'sn'...

> Andrew, I certainly don't envy you the job ahead of you.
> Eventually, when you finish your work, you'll have another server that
> is just as broken and non-compliant as Microsoft's.

That's the aim ;-)

That's particularly the aim for the internal Samba4 server.  I'm hoping
that with the proxy mode, we might eventually have both worlds:
compliant (directly) and non-compliant (via Samba).

> I don't see you
> having a lot of choice in the matter, you just have to do what you have
> to do. The MS schema just doesn't coexist with real LDAP...

Indeed.  The real measure of how successful I am is how maintainable the
mapping layer is, and how bad the server-side hacks are.

Andrew Bartlett