[389-devel] Thought excersize: A different take on replication

Soeren Malchow (MCon) soeren.malchow at mcon.net
Fri Dec 3 16:41:30 UTC 2010

Hi Gerrard,

Since you are already mentioning OSPF, how about grouping the Masterservers into "zones" and have only one of the hosts taking care of the communication to other "zones".

Changes could always only be replicated via the "communication master".

The main problem that arises here is the potential outage of one of those "communication masters", this could be solved by either an election process or by an explicit order.

I think this would be a good way to go because it is very close to real life scenarios form my point of view, I most likely have a view masters in geographically distributed locations, but not tens of servers in one location ( maybe already counting e.g. different buildings on a campus as locations )

Not sure if that is a way to go, but maybe it helps a little

Best Regards,

Soeren Malchow
CIO
Phone: +49 40 806008 120
Mobile: +49 171 5525102
Email: soeren.malchow at mcon.net
Web: www.mcon.net
MCon Germany GmbH
Neuer Pferdemarkt 1
20359 Hamburg
Germany
Berlin . Hamburg . Karlsruhe . Koeln . Muenchen
Traderegister HRB 110600 Local Court Mannheim | VAT-Id. No.: DE235236333 | Tax No.: 35 007 055033
Managing Partner: Dirk Meissner, Guenther Kreuzpaintner, Soeren Malchow

Member of MCon Group
Austria . China . Czech Republic . France . Germany . Japan . Malaysia . Russia . South Korea . Switzerland . UK . USA

This e-mail may contain confidential and/ or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received
this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure
or distribution of the material contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.