[389-devel] fractional replication monitoring proposal

Mark Reynolds mareynol at redhat.com
Tue Oct 15 20:41:12 UTC 2013

https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/47368

So we run into issues when trying to figure out if replicas are in
synch(if those replicas use fractional replication and "strip mods").
What happens is that an update is made on master A, but due to
fractional replication there is no update made to any replicas. So if
you look at the ruv in the tombstone entry on each server, it would
appear they are out of synch.  So using the ruv in the db tombstone is
no longer accurate when using fractional replication.

I'm proposing a new ruv to be stored in the backend replica entry: e.g.
cn=replica,cn="dc=example,dc=com",cn=mapping tree,cn=config. I'm calling
this the "replicated ruv".  So whenever we actually send an update to a
replica, this ruv will get updated.  Since we can not compare this
"replicated ruv" to the replicas tombstone ruv, we can instead compare
the "replicated ruv" to the ruv in the replica's repl agreement(unless
it is a dedicated consumer - here we might be able to still look at the
db tombstone ruv to determine the status).

Problems with this approach:

-  All the servers need to have the same replication configuration(the
same fractional replication policy and attribute stripping) to give
accurate results.

-  If one replica has an agreement that does NOT filter the updates, but
has agreements that do filter updates, then we can not correctly
determine its synchronization state with the fractional replicas.

-  Performance hit from updating another ruv(in cn=config)?

Fractional replication simply breaks our monitoring process.  I'm not
sure, not without updating the repl protocol, that we can cover all
deployment scenarios(mixed fractional repl agmts, etc). However, I
"think" this approach would work for most deployments(compared to none
at the moment).  For IPA, since they don't use consumers, this approach
would work for them.  And finally, all of this would have to be handled
by a updated version of repl-monitor.pl.

This is just my preliminary idea on how to handle this.  Feedback is
welcome!!

Thanks in advance,
Mark

--