[389-devel] plugin PRE_ENTRY_FN scope

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jan 17 18:31:56 UTC 2014

On 01/17/2014 11:20 AM, Deas, Jim wrote:
> Should I be able to use SLAPI_SEARCH_ATTR to view attributes about to be returned to the client in PRE_ENTRY_FN?

Yes, looks like it, but you have to be prepared for the case where a
client does not specify a search attribute list - in this case, the
client is asking for all non-operational attributes in the entry.

>   Can I start a new search inside PRE_ENTRY_FN to find values needed to augment the existing attributes being returned?

Yes, that should work.  However, doing this parsing and internal search
for every single entry returned might be a big performance hit.  You
might want to examine the SLAPI_SEARCH_ATTRS and do the internal search
in a SLAPI_PLUGIN_PRE_SEARCH_FN, then store the results in the operation
(in an operation extension), then just use those results in your
PRE_ENTRY_FN.  This is what the deref plugin does.