[Fedora-directory-users] RE: reducing memory footprint?

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Thu Dec 29 05:26:18 UTC 2005

Gerald Richter wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Thanks for your suggestions.
>
>I tried it out and here is the result (everything is after startup and
>without any load or work. The numbers are the virtual memory that ps shows):
>
>- default configuration ~ 122MB
>
>- reduce db cache from 10MB to 1 MB ~ 113MB
>
>- reduce number of threads from 30 to 3 ~ 57MB
>
>- disable unneeded plugins ~ 55MB
>
>BTW This is still a factor of 5 higher than OpenLdap, which takes about 10MB

Can you explain a little more about your goal here ?
Trying to reduce the VM footprint for an application seems (to me) to be
a fruitless exercise. It'd be the working set size that one would typically
want to reduce. VM size is an (almost) meaningless number. For example
when you reduced the number of threads, the VM size went down because
you removed N * (thread stack size) from the process address space.
However, in reality you didn't change the application's use of system
resources significantly at all because almost none of the pages would
have been comitted. OpenLDAP probably uses a smaller stack size.

I would be interested in hearing if the WSS is too large. I don't have
a running slapd to check to hand, but I don't remember it being
terribly large last time I checked (20 meg from memory).