[Fedora-directory-users] Advantages of using FDS vs OpenLDAP?

Sam Tran stlist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:59:27 UTC 2005

On 7/8/05, Kevin Myer <kevin_myer at iu13.org> wrote:
> Quoting Sam Tran <stlist at gmail.com>:
> > I was wondering how FDS compares with OpenLDAP in terms of performance.
>
> Well, its faster, in our case (and I say that tongue-in-cheek).  Our current
> primary directory server is running on a dual 168Mhz Ultra 2 Sun box.  And our
> secondary is a Sparcstation 10, at a whopping 70Mhz :)
>
> > If you don't mind me asking how big is your current LDAP
> > infrastructure in terms of entries and number of connections/sec.? How
> > well your test FDS performs compare to your current LDAP server?
>
> Its a small installation, maybe 10,000 entries, but that services our own
> organization, as well as 22 school districts, each in separate trees.  But per
> above, there's really no way I can provide an accurate comparison between the
> current and anything else, other than to say its faster.
>
> > I would appreciate your input.
>
> Factors that go into my decision (and I use Fedora loosely, to describe my
> experience and observations with Netscape/Sun/iPlanet products generally):
>
> Cost (its a wash between OpenLDAP vs. Fedora DS)
> Manageability (hands down Fedora, simply because I'm familar with the Netscape
> management infrastructure)
> Scalability (my guess is Fedora, based on the size of installations
> that are out
> there)
> Availability (Fedora - no proven multimaster support in OpenLDAP)
> Ease of migration (Fedora - an upgrade to OpenLDAP meant refactoring
> all ACL's,
> massaging attributes and objectclasses, etc.)
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin M. Myer
> Senior Systems Administrator
> Lancaster-Lebanon Intermediate Unit 13  http://www.iu13.org

Thanks Rich and Kevin for your input.

As far as I am concerned the management console and the multimaster
replication would be the two main advantages of FDS.

However according to that paper multi-master replication could lead to
inconsistencies:
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-zeilenga-ldup-harmful-02.txt

What do you think?

Thanks.