[Fedora-directory-users] Installation of Fedora Directory Ser vice on RHEL v3 or v4

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 19:55:49 UTC 2005

Talwar, Puneet (NIH/NIAID) wrote:

>Thank you,  I manage to download the binary RPM of RHEL 4 on my workstation.
>
>Now, I setup the FD to sync with MS AD domain which we have here, but one
>question I have do I need to have enterprise admin right to sync the FD to
>the AD DC server to pull user infos and etc?

Yes.  There are two different connections.  The main connection is from
FDS to AD - FDS does an LDAP BIND to AD to issue a sync request.  When
you configure the windows sync agreement on FDS (usually using the
console), you have to specify the DN of the user on AD that has
administrative rights over the AD subtree (e.g.
cn=Administrator,cn=Users,dc=Domain,dc=TLD).  So you will have to do
some work to create that user on AD, grant that user the appropriate
rights over the AD subtree, and figure out what the DN of that user is.

The other connection is a "push" connection from AD to FDS for password
changes.  The passsync AD plug-in intercepts password changes and
forwards them to FDS.  When configuring the AD passsync service, you
will need to specify the DN of an FDS user that has the right to search
for and write the userPassword attribute in the subtree you are sync'ing.

>Right now when I want to search a user on the domain I am not able to do
>that.

On AD or FDS?