[Fedora-directory-users] LDAP aliases

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Mon Jul 11 20:29:28 UTC 2005

I've noticed that FDS and other Netscape-derived directory servers (like
Sun's) do not have support for LDAP aliases.

At one point there was an IETF draft for LDAP aliases which can still be
found here:
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-byrne-ldap-alias-00.txt

Based on documentation snippets I've run across, it looks like some LDAP
servers (IBM, Novell) still support the alias schema suggested in the draft.

I'm wondering why the alias schema is not included in FDS?  My guess is
that LDAP aliases turned out to be a bad idea for various reasons, but
I'm not exactly sure what these reasons are.

Does anyone have any philosophies to share about LDAP aliases and/or why
they aren't included in FDS?

Thanks very much,
-- George