[Fedora-directory-users] PAM authentication

Thomas Mathiesen thomas at linprofs.com
Tue Jun 7 12:00:34 UTC 2005

Hi all!

I am happy to see that the communty have got a good-looking directory server.
Soon, I hope I can throw away our M$ active directory, and run fedora
directory instead, but I am having some issue, authenticating linux desktops.

So, here's what I have:
Fedora Directory installed on CentOS 4.0 (redhat EL clone)
Ran the typical install (after reading redhat directory install manual)

I can successfully login to the web-admin interface, and add users (after
binding as Directory Manager).

Due to a java error, I cannot use the console, but I rather use GQ (a gnome
LDAP tool). I can bind (as Directory Manager), and add/remove stuff.

So, here's what I continued doing:
Added a user (using the webinterface).
Added objectclass posixAccount to this user (using GQ)

Turning to my desktop, running Ubuntu Hoary and Openldap, I set it up using
this ldap config:
host ldap.mydomain.com
base dc=mydomain,dc=com
ldap_version 3
timelimit 30
pam_filter objectclass=posixAccount
pam_login_attribute uid
ssl no
#ssl start_tls
#tls_checkpeer no
pam_password ssha

I've tried to use ssl (and tls_checkpeer no), and no ssl.... nothing works.

In my log on the fedora directory server, I see the connection, and it first
tries to find the posixAccount, and returns no error. Then it looks for
shadowAccount, and returns no error (after I added that objectclass as well).

The client worked fine, authenticating with my previous openldap server... and
I can't see why I doesn't authenticate with my new fedora server.

Help would be highly appreciated :)

/Thomas