[Fedora-directory-users] change port on DS/AS

Jeff Clowser jclowser at unitedmessaging.com
Tue Jun 21 19:33:01 UTC 2005

Think of it this way (doing this from memory):

-  Config info  for _other servers_ (such as admin) is held in the
directory under o=netscaperoot.  DS itself does not "use" any of this.
It's important to understand that directory and admin are 2 separate
servers.
-  There is one file (adm.conf?) that tells admin server how to
initially contact the directory server to lookup this config info.
-  There is a second file (the one under shared/conf?) that is
effectively a cache of some of what is in the directory, in case you
start up and the ds is unavailable (this was important back when Console
was used to manage messaging, and or/use admin server to start directory
server, etc).  Note that if you change this cache file and restart
things, it'll get overwritten from what is in o=netscaperoot, if I
remember correctly.

There are similar issues with changing the IP address.  Note that this
is an issue with admin server, not directory server itself (i.e.
changing the port and ip address on directory server works without
problem, but "breaks" admin and such).

 - Jeff