[Fedora-directory-users] features

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 11:59:43 UTC 2005

Dinil Divakaran wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>>> * horizontal and vertical scalability
>>

>> Scalability: thousands of operations per second, tens of thousands of
>> concurrent users, tens of millions of entries, hundreds of gigabytes
>> of data
>>

> and if we have hundreds of thousands of users, is it possible to
> partition into multiple repositories for scalability; instead of
> having just one repository ?

Yes.  You can split up the data into different suffixes and databases on
a single server (analogous to Novell "partitions" if you are familiar
with those), or you can use chaining to have multiple servers host the
data, and you can use entry distribution to distribute the entries in a
single suffix among multiple servers.