[Fedora-directory-users] Exporting MD5 Hash from FD-DS into/etc/shadow

Oscar A. Valdez oscar.valdez at duraflex-politex.com
Wed Apr 19 23:55:02 UTC 2006

El mié, 19-04-2006 a las 16:12 -0400, DeMarco, Dennis escribió:
> I had some time to play with this. I do not believe it can be done
> easily unless another password storage mechanism is made as a plug-in.
>
> The GNU-MD5 password format for /etc/shadow I believe is:
>
> $1$, followed by an 8 character salt, $, 22 character hash.

I upload my users into the FDS via ldif files with content like the
following:

dn: uid=oswaldof,ou=People,dc=duraflex,dc=com,dc=sv
changetype: add
uid: oswaldof
cn: Oswaldo Flores
givenName: Oswaldo
sn: Flores
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: account
objectClass: shadowAccount
userPassword: {crypt}$1$PTSfaHrm$lo4r6RXB9rBB15SPX1e.O1
shadowLastChange: 13246
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 589
gidNumber: 589
homeDirectory: /home/oswaldof
gecos: Oswaldo Flores

The userPassword data is practically out of an /etc/shadow file. Does
FDS store this data in plaintext (so that it could be exported), or is
it somehow hashed again?

--
Oscar A. Valdez