[Fedora-directory-users] AD sync issues

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 21:02:05 UTC 2006

Vsevolod (Simon) Ilyushchenko wrote:
> Rich,
>
> Thanks for your answers!
>
> Richard Megginson wrote on 04/26/2006 02:55 PM:
>> Vsevolod (Simon) Ilyushchenko wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've half gotten the AD sync to work, but I have a couple of issues:
>>>
>>> 1. The updates are not propagated on their own. If I choose
>>> 'Send/Receive updates' from the sync agreement, they are immediately
>>> transferred, but it never happens on it's own.
>>
>> Try turning on the replication error log level.
>
> Okay, I see "Replica has no update vector. It has never been
> initialized." My updates are indeed not sent from FDS to AD, but I
> don't want this anyway.
>
> The Windows sync docs do not specify which replica role I have to
> choose first. I actually need a dedicated consumer (AD->FDS only), but
> if I choose that role, I have to specify a supplier DN, and I'm not
> sure what I should put there for the Windows sync scenario. So I had
> to choose 'single master', and that implies sending FDS->AD updates,
> which currently doesn't work. Looks like these updates won't be sent
> until I initialize the consumer (AD), and I DON'T want to do this.
>
> So I'm in a bind. :(
I don't think the code is designed to do one way sync.  The way sync
works with AD is that FDS pulls changes from AD (using the DirSync
control) and pushes changes to AD (using plain old LDAP operations).  AD
never contacts FDS (except for password sync, and that's a different
issue), so you don't need to specify a supplier DN.