[Fedora-directory-users] TLS authentication

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Aug 8 19:18:25 UTC 2006

Adams Samuel D Contr AFRL/HEDR wrote:
> Basically I am trying to use FDS for LDAP authentication for centralized
> authentication on my Linux network and a need to make sure that it is
> secure.  I figured that enabling TLS for authentication would be a good
> start.  I read the Red Hat Directory Server administrator guide chapter
> on TLS and followed the howto at
> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SSL.  It looks like I have
> TLS enabled because I can get my Linux clients using the OpenLDAP PAM
> module to authenticate with TLS enabled, but my LDAP server will also
> let them authenticate without TLS!
>
> If someone authenticates without TLS, does that mean that their login
> credentials are being passed in the clear?

Yes.  But how are they authenticating other than PAM?  That is, if PAM
is set to use TLS, how can they login through PAM without TLS?
> How do I make the FDS to only allow TLS authentication?

I don't think you can.  The startTLS operation requires the non-secure
port.  If you just want to use LDAPS (TLS without startTLS) then you can
disable the non-secure port.  Then all server traffic must be encrypted.
> My basic goal is to make this secure.
>
> I also have two medium vulnerabilities the keep popping up with ISS that
> I need to resolve but can't seem to find the proper configuration in the
> admin console.
>
> " LDAP NullBind: LDAP anonymous access to directory
>
> The NULL bind entry allows a user to access the Lightweight Directory
> Access Protocol (LDAP) directory anonymously. An attacker could take
> advantage of the NULL bind entry to anonymously view files on the LDAP
> director.
> Remedy:
> Disable the NULL bind entry or control the entry with Access Control
> Lists (ACLs).
> References:"

Yes, you can disable access with ACIs by removing the anonymous search
ACI.  However, this may disable apps like PAM that first need to perform
a search for the user's userid (e.g. at a login prompt).  Some apps
(like PAM) allow you to perform the search as a real user, so you can
grant search access to only that user.  You can also use SASL/Kerberos
to avoid sending cleartext passwords over the wire.
> --and--
>
> " LDAP Schema: LDAP schema information gathering
>
> An attacker could access the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
> (LDAP) schema to gain information about the LDAP server. The LDAP server
> dumps its schema, which can show all necessary attributes needed for an
> object, including hidden or non-readable attributes. An attacker could
> use this information to access directory listings and plan further
> attacks.
> Remedy:
> Disable the cn=schema entry or allow only authorized users to view the
> entry.
> References:"

Again, you can simply remove the anonymous search ACI on this entry, but
this may break some applications that require anonymous access to query
the schema.