[Fedora-directory-users] Re: FDS hangs

Saravana Kumar tuxkumar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 06:09:53 UTC 2006

Richard Megginson wrote:

> You need to increase the number of file descriptors.
> See http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Performance_Tuning#Linux
> and
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/pdf/ds71cli.pdf - search
> for nsslapd-maxdescriptors
>
> Saravana Kumar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running FDS in one of my servers. It serves authinfo(username &
>> password) and automount info to about 50 clients. During peak hours(when
>> the number of connections to the server are high) it is very difficult to
>> operate in the client machines and the server fails to respond. Then i
>> end up in hard rebooting the server. After reboot slapd would not start(i
>> have scripts to start fds and fds-admin). I have to run ./setup/setup
>> again to start the fds-admin.
>>
>> Can some one tell me why is this happenning? Is it a bug?
>>
>> The only error i see in the slapd logs is this:
>> 17/Aug/2006:15:18:15 +051800] - Listening for new connections again
>> [17/Aug/2006:15:18:15 +051800] - Not listening for new connections - too
>> many fds open
>>

>> Thanks in advance for any pointers.
>>
>> ---
>> SK
>>
>> --

Thanks Richard,

After posting here i infact got to this page:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/cli/config.htm
and checked nsslapd-maxdescriptors(it is 1024) and
nsslapd-ntconntablesize(is 1024). My /proc/sys/fs/file-max is already
102432.

I tried to change the nslapd-ntconntablesize from adminconsole, it failed
with the error nsslapd-maxdescriptor is 1024. Then i tried to change
maxdescriptor to 4096 it failed with the error maxfile descriptors must
range from 1 to 1024 (the current file descriptors).

Any idea?

Regds,
SK