[Fedora-directory-users] Howto on Basic Setup

HAWKER, Dan dan.hawker at astrium.eads.net
Thu Aug 31 08:40:31 UTC 2006

> Then you would want to use a client that allows a single
> password entry and encodes it for the userPassword
> (posixAccount/shadowAccount) attribute and for the
> sambaNTPassword and optionally the sambaLMPassword. Clients
> for this purpose are listed here...

I'm using LDAPAdmin (http://ldapadmin.sourceforge.net) to accomplish this
part of the equation. It's a Win32 app that connects fine and can add
objects using a GUI and default mechanism (easy
addition/deletion/modification) and can set Samba/Posix passwords at the
same time. With new releases you can create XML based templates that
integrate fully into the interface. This enables you to add extra attributes
you may need in addition to LDAPAdmins default set when adding/modifying an
object (a user for instance).

The one pain at the moment is that it doesn't use
groupofuniquenames/uniqueMember for groups (uses posixGroup/uid) so I have
to add that bit manually (has a manual edit function too) if required rather
than doing it automagically using the GUI. However the developer is very
quick and on the ball, so after explaining this to him, hes adding that
functionality in the next release.

Dan

--

Dan Hawker
Linux System Administrator

If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, disseminate or otherwise deal with it.
The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of Astrium Limited.
Nothing in this email shall bind Astrium Limited in any contract or obligation.