[Fedora-directory-users] Using FDS to replace ActiveDirectory

Wayne Johnson wdtj at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 20:21:06 UTC 2006

I've tried to research this but been coming up relatively empty, so any references and examples you can give would be appreciated.  I've used LDAP but not in this context.

We have a network at our school of various Fedora Core servers and Windows desktops.  We'd like to create a homogeneous login system.  Fedora can use LDAP of course, but what about Windows.  I know ActiveDirectory runs an LDAP server, but can we use FDS as a replacement to AD so that the Windows98 and XP machines we have will use FDS for authentication?  Will FDS also do the various other AD functions (like Outlook addresses, etc)?

Thanks.

---
Wayne Johnson,                         | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003                         | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis

http://mail.yahoo.com