[Fedora-directory-users] Kerberos/Samba/LDAP? Was: FDS - using one password for Samba and Linux accounts

Jim Hogan jimh at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 27 18:01:42 UTC 2006

I have a brand-new Samba 3.x domain working with LDAP/FDS backend; this
is just for my small (university) department of ~350 users.   The
university operates an overarching Kerberos realm.  My best possible
case would be to use that Kerberos realm for authentication/password but
continue to maintain department LDAP for actual user/group
authorization/rights.   If I can get everything to use people's existing
university password, that would be very sweet; failing that, I have to
give out about 300 passwords in the next month :(

I see the FDS Kerberos Howto, and it seems to make Kerberos integration
pretty simple, but what is not clear to me is whether it is possible to
pass this Kerberos authentication through to Samba clients.  The few
references I see to Samba-Kerberos integration modify the smb.conf with
direct references to kerberos realm and keytab that would seem to result in:

     Samba ----> Kerberos
     _____ <---- ________

where what I think I want is more like:

     Samba ----> LDAP ----> Kerberos
     _____ <---- ____ <---- ________

(sorry for the awful ASCII!)  where I retain "passdb backend =
ldapsam:ldap://x.x.x.x" as the user/group store, but where LDAP refers
to Kerberos for authn/passwd.

I was going to pose this question to the Samba users list, but I thought
there might be more value to ask first whether anyone has worked on this
in a FDS context.  Not to say anything bad about other LDAP servers, but
I can sometimes find it hard to map integration discussions that use
OpenLDAP examples to my situation.

So, anyone on the list running a completely integrated
Samba/FDS/Kerberos setup that references an overarching Kerberos realm?

Thanks,

Jim