[Fedora-directory-users] New install with Admin Server issues

Duncan McGreggor duncan at zenoss.com
Sun Dec 31 03:11:49 UTC 2006

Hey all,

I'm having some troubles with the Admin Server (web). First, some
details:

* This is my first experience with FDS
* I'm running Debian and followed the install instructions here:
   http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:DebianUbuntu
* I created/installed the debian package from fedora-
ds-1.0.4-1.RHEL3.i386.opt.rpm
* I can run the java console application, login, create entries, etc.
* I'm a python coder, not a java one, so I have no idea about the
java stuff.

Here are the issues I am seeing:
1) clicking on the "help" buttons on the java console results in a
download dialog with the following message:
      The file "help" is of type application/octect-stream...
2) Clicking the "Restart" button (admin tasks) on the java console
results in a 404
3) Attempting to visit the url http://myhost:62332/ results in a
download dialog
4) If I download the file, open it and read it, it's a binary file.
The file begins with the following:
      ELF              ,Ü4   8      4
(      4   4Ä4ć   ‡              ÅÅ
       Ä ÄË  Ë               ê ê@  D
QÂtd                          /lib/ld-linux.so.
2           GNU
    And then later in the file, there is this:
      Error: %s
       NETSITE_ROOT %s%cdsgw NETSITE_ROOT not found %s%cdist %c%
s uxmcc ntmcc winmcc %s:%s HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE , r ,  Content-type:
text/html
 <download_menu_block> <dsgw_menu_block> </download_menu_block> </
dsgw_menu_block> <download_menu_options> <option value='%s'>%s
 start-console.html not found en  Unable to open NETSITE_ROOT/
dist    ..%cjava%chtml%c%c%c%cstart-console.html    ..%cjava%chtml%
cstart-console.html                                      ‡ê
   ÙÑ
   ¸ç   HÅ   8É   ËÅ
5) I saw the following rewrite rule in /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv/
config/admserv.conf:
      RewriteRule ^/$ /dist/download [R,L,QSA]
    I commented it out, restarted the server, and now I get a 403
(Forbidden) when I access http://myhost:62332/
6) I set the admin server's log level to debug, and I started seeing
these messages:
[Sun Dec 31 03:00:57 2006] [debug] mod_admserv.c(1759): [client
72.51.42.180] admserv_check_authz: uri [tasks/operation/StatusPing]
did not begin with [commands/] - not a command
[Sun Dec 31 03:00:57 2006] [debug] mod_admserv.c(1808): [client
72.51.42.180] admserv_check_authz: execute CGI [/opt/fedora-ds/bin/
admin/admin/bin/statusping] args [(null)]

That's all I can think of for now. Does anyone have any clue as to
what could be going on? Is this a java app server dealie? I tried
searching through the docs and the FDS pages for anything that might
clue me in, and came up empty-handed...

Other than this, though, it looks like a killer LDAP server. Looking
forward to getting this rolled out here, and providing folks with the
web admin link to manage their info...

Thanks!