[Fedora-directory-users] Attribute uniqueness of multiple attributes

Pete Rowley prowley at redhat.com
Fri Jun 9 16:25:00 UTC 2006

Arjan Franzen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using FDS as a component in a software development project.
> up until now I've had no problems but what puzzles me is the status of
> attribute uniqueness. FDS is based on Netscape iPlanet and or Sun ONE
> directory from what I read.
>
> if I look at the documentation of FDS (iPlanet 7.0 based) I see clearly no
> support for multiple unique attributes (page 594 of the admin manual):

Yes, there is support for that:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/uid.html#1043905

Note:

"If you want to check uniqueness of several attributes, you must create
a separate instance of the plug-in for each attribute you want to check."

> If I on the other hand look at the Sun documenation:
> http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6400-10/attruniq.html#wp19660
> see section: "Configuring the Plug-In From the Command-Line"
> I see that there is a way! only I can't get it to work which suggests what
> I read in the FDS documentation.

This is a link to an unsupported plugin which is NOT the same as the
attribute uniqueness plugin we ship or the UID uniqueness plugin Sun
ships.  It is called, somewhat confusingly given the other plugins,
attribute /value/ uniqueness and looks like it guarantees uniqueness in
a multi-master topology along with the obvious flaw of single point of
failure (that is actually not strictly true, it is more accurately
described as multiple single points of failure - one per MM DS).  In
other words they must implement a network lock - eek.

--
Pete