[Fedora-directory-users] Download package for various FC/RHEL versions?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jun 18 02:26:34 UTC 2006

On the download pages, I noted that the same package should be used for
both FC2 and RHEL3.  Is this correct?  It was always my assumption that
RHL8, RHL9 and FC1 used the same packages as RHEL3, while FC2 and FC3
were the same as RHEL4.

As such, should it not be that the FC3/RHEL4 version is also what should
be downloaded for FC2?  And then the RHEL3 would also be for FC1, not
FC2?

About the only place where FC2 differs from FC3/RHEL4 seems to be GCC
(3.3 for the former instead of 3.4 like the latter two).  FC1 actually
ships the same version as FC2, and not the same as FC1/RHEL3 (3.3 for
the former instead of 3.2 like the latter two).

So I'm just curious if the download recommendation is correct for FC2?

-- Bryan

P.S.  I've been tracking Kernel, C and GLibC (among other, core ABI
packages) on Red Hat releases over the years.  I recently posted a
simplified history table through FC5 on my blog here:
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2006/05/fedora-red-hat-abi-compatibility.html

--
Bryan J. Smith           Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com