[Fedora-directory-users] File descriptor problem

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Jun 19 15:05:34 UTC 2006

I may be missing something obvious, but I've got a couple Red Hat EL4
servers running FDS 1.0.2, and I keep getting the dreaded "Not listening
for new connections - too many fds open" error.

I've looked at all the install and how-to guides, and have the following
set up:

/etc/security/limits.conf:

*       soft    nofile  104851
*       hard    nofile  104851

/etc/sysctl.conf:

fs.file-max = 131072

/etc/profile:

ulimit -n 131072

/etc/pam.d/login:

session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so

Still, as soon as FDS hits 1024 FDs open, everything blows up.

What have I missed?  I've also added a "ulimit -n 131072" to the top of
the server's init script, but no dice.