[Fedora-directory-users] slow mass deletion

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Jun 22 14:19:26 UTC 2006

Dirk Kastens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using fedora-ds-1.0.2-1.RHEL4.
> When I try to delete a whole branch in my ldap tree that contains
> several thousand entries, the deletion is extremely slow. The server
> needs about 10 seconds to delete a single entry. I can watch the
> progress in the server's logfiles. Deleting the branch will take nearly
> a day in my case. It doesn't matter if I use ldapdelete, ldapmodify with
> an ldif file as input, or the server console.
> My IBM directory server only needs a few seconds to delete a whole
> branch. How can I speed up the deletion?
Fedora DS checks for referential integrity upon deletion e.g. when you
delete a user, FDS searches for all groups which contain that user, and
removes that user from those groups.  This is normally the cause of slow
deletions, especially when the attributes that it uses are not indexed.
By default it uses these attributes: member, uniquemember, owner, seeAlso.

You have a couple of options.  If you care about referential integrity,
you will need to create presence and equality indexes for the above
listed attributes.  If you don't care about referential integrity, you
can simply disable that plug-in.

If this still doesn't get the delete performance you require, the other
option is to just export your data to LDIF, use sed/awk/perl to remove
the entries you want to remove, then reimport.  While not ideal, this
will be extremely fast.