[Fedora-directory-users] Referrals break everything ...

Philip Kime pkime at Shopzilla.com
Thu Jun 29 17:25:43 UTC 2006

I am running the latest Fedora-DS and trying to use nss_ldap. I have to
migrate an older LDAP server onto the Fedora-DS but keep temporarily the
old tree structure for all current LDAP clients. So I was goint to leave
the old search base in /etc/ldap.conf on the client and just re-direct
queries to the new location (on the same server). A job for referrals, I
thought. I'll just put a stub root dc on the new server and make it
point to the new location, like this:

dc=a,dc=y

a referral to the new

dc=a,dc=b

I set this up, ldapsearch shows that it's getting the right referral
(though I can't seem to get ldapsearch follow the the referral?)

However, if I try to do anything involving nss_ldap (which otherwise
works fine), I get this, for example, in syslog:

getent: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Referral

Does nss_ldap not follow referalls? That would make it rather useless
.... Is this a Fedora-DS problem?

--
Philip Kime