[Fedora-directory-users] New filesystem layout for directory server and admin server files

mj at sci.fi mj at sci.fi
Fri Jun 30 20:14:02 UTC 2006

Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> kirjoitti:
> --

> In order to be more linux friendly, we are currently considering changing the layout from having everything under
> /opt/fedora-ds to putting files in their FHS specific paths

FHS has it's place. However, as a very large user of this software, I am strongly against this idea.

One of the biggest strengths of this software is that it is completely self-contained, which allows much simpler troubleshooting, research and development of administration tools, and testing multiple versions. It is easier to see if a file is missing or has the wrong permissions, and fix it. It is easier to backup and restore. I could go on and on. When an entire network depends on the LDAP infrastructure, these type of things really matter.

I think this is a bad idea, and a waste of time. Time which could be much better spent on bring proper autoconf support.

BR,
Mike