[Fedora-directory-users] New filesystem layout for directory server and admin server files

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Jun 30 20:23:15 UTC 2006

John Dennis wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 13:59 -0600, Richard Megginson wrote:
>
>> In order to be more linux friendly, we are currently considering
>> changing the layout from having everything under /opt/fedora-ds to
>> putting files in their FHS specific paths.  The details are here -
>> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/FHS_Packaging
>>
>> I've heard some pretty strong opinions for both moving to this and
>> sticking to the current packaging model.  I'd like to open this debate
>> up to the wider audience.
>>

> I think it's a good idea to move to an FHS layout, not only will this
> make directory server fit in with the rest of our packages but it will
> also aid in SELinux policy which makes strong assumptions about location
> in FHS directories.

What if we ship our own SELinux policy with Fedora DS?
> I did a very cursory review of the layout and right off the top of my
> head it looks pretty good. I'm not entirely certain the slapd instance
> should be located under /var/lib but that might be nit.

I couldn't figure out what other place would be appropriate for dynamic
files like databases, backups, and dynamic config.  Note that openldap
uses /var/lib/ldap.
> A good way to get lots of eyeballs to review the layout is to submit the
> RPM for review.

Once we have an RPM . . . we're not there yet . . . step by step, inch
by inch . . .