[Fedora-directory-users] gid number in posix account!

Susan logastellus at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 19:24:48 UTC 2006

--- mj at sci.fi wrote:

> > what's really strange is that if you're adding a person to multiple groups (really, listing
> > multiple memberuid attributes in a posixgroup) you MUST use the text name of the person.  Even
> > though the attr is called member*uid*, if you put the uid in there, it won't work.  Text
> string
> > must be specified.  I know it's not FDS's fault but as my kids would say, "that's just whack."
> >

> uid is a text string username.
>
> uidNumber is an integer user id number.

only in this context.  99.9999% of the time, when people say UID, they mean the number, not the
text username.  In fact, the man page is clear on this:

     The name field is the login name of a user, it is  up  to  8  letters  or
     numbers long starting with a letter.  The login name must be unique.  The
     password field is either empty (no password), a  13  character  encrypted
     password  as returned by crypt(3), or a login name preceded by two number
     signs (#) to index the shadow password file.  Anything else  (usually  *)
     is  invalid.  The uid and gid fields are two numbers indicating the users
     user-id and group-id.                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^