[Fedora-directory-users] best practice for uid provisioning?

Scott Gilbert rinconsystems at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 00:18:01 UTC 2006

I inherited an ldap with odd design. It has a custom
attribute as the rdn in the dn for all entries. The
rdn is not the uid. People entries are provisioned
automatically and users choose a uid after their entry
has been created for login purposes. The custom
attribute for the rdn serves as a unique identifier.
The uid is also unique.

I found that getting products to work with this ldap
is difficult because they expect the uid to be in the
dn. Comments? Should I put the uid back in the dn?
Seems like it would make my life a lot simpler.

And what methods are best to create entries for users
without a uid? Maybe assign a temp and have them
change it? Or just assign them which is always the
easiest. Thanks.