[Fedora-directory-users] /etc/init.d startup script issues on reboot

Joe Sheehan triswimjoe at hotmail.com
Fri May 26 11:28:08 UTC 2006

We are using the startup script for Fedora as
shown below with the corresponding /etc/sysconfig/ns-slapd
The problem is during a reboot ns-slapd doesn't start. (the run levels are
set to 3,4,5).
>From the command line though using this script it starts.

In the /var/log/messages for a reboot we see
sql_select option missing
auxpropfunc error no mechanism available
ns-slapd failed

For a command line start we see
sql_select option missing
auxpropfunc error no mechanism available
ns-slapd started successfully.

Those two errors seem to be consist with a permission problem similar to
openldap
but we haven't had any luck with that yet BUT is there a way to figure out
why during a reboot it doesn't start besides getting a "ns-slapd failed".

Thanks (scripts below)

Joe
# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

SLAPD_HOST=`hostname -a`
SLAPD_DIR=/opt/fedora-ds/bin/slapd/server
PIDFILE=$SLAPD_DIR/logs/pid
STARTPIDFILE=$SLAPD_DIR/logs/startpid

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/ns-slapd ]; then
	. /etc/sysconfig/ns-slapd
fi

start() {
	echo -n "Starting Fedora Directory Server: "
	if [ -f $STARTPIDFILE ]; then
		PID=`cat $STARTPIDFILE`
		echo ns-slapd already running: $PID
		exit 2;
	elif [ -f $PIDFILE ]; then
		PID=`cat $PIDFILE`
		echo ns-slapd already running: $PID
		exit 2;
	else
		echo Here we go...
		cd $SLAPD_DIR
		daemon	./ns-slapd $OPTIONS
		RETVAL=$?
	        echo
        	[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/ns-slapd
        	return $RETVAL
	fi

}

stop() {
	echo -n "Shutting down Fedora Directory Server: "
	echo
	killproc ns-slapd
	echo
	rm -f /var/lock/subsys/ns-slapd
	return 0
}

case "$1" in
    start)
	start
	;;
    stop)
	stop
	;;
    status)
	status ns-slapd
	;;
    restart)
    	stop
	start
	;;
    *)
	echo "Usage: <servicename> {start|stop|status|restart}"
	exit 1
	;;
esac
exit $?