[Fedora-directory-users] Infinite loop during installation process

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 01:46:10 UTC 2006

Graham Leggett wrote:
> Richard Megginson wrote:
>
>>> Now the admin server won't start at all, and no error message is
>>> logged to the console or error log.
>> There's more to making it use ssl than disabling ssl.  The easiest
>> way is to use the script at
>> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SSL to generate the
>> keys/certs, then use the console.  You first have to go to
>> Directory->Configuration->Data->Security and check the button that
>> tells the console to use SSL.  Then, go to Admin
>> Server->Configuration->Security and tell Admin Server to use SSL.
>
> Trouble is, if you've made the smallest config error, the console is
> left in a corrupt state. There seems to be no way to correct an error
> once its been made.
Yes, this is poorly documented, and scattered about in a half dozen
config files, as well as several entries under o=netscaperoot

> I managed to get this right once, then made a config error somewhere,
> and the directory config for this member of the cluster has been
> corrupt ever since.
>
>>> A couple of questions at this point:
>>>
>>> - How does the console know whether to contact the admin server
>>> using SSL or clear?
>> It should go off the url you specify when using startconsole, either
>> http or https.
>
> Ok... the URL I used in startconsole pointed at the configuration
> directory's admin server, not the new admin server I am trying to set up.
>
> Is the startconsole somehow assuming that because the admin server
> belonging to the configuration directory is secure, then all other
> admin servers are secure too?
No, once it uses the url you type in to bootstrap, it reads the security
settings for the other servers from the config ds o=netscaperoot.

> Should I point startconsole at the new admin server, rather than the
> configuration admin server, when I want to edit the new admin server?
You could try that.

>>> - Which files in the config directory can be edited by a human and
>>> have an actual effect?
>> Only local.conf is read-only.  It is basically a cache of the
>> information under the admin server instance entry under o=NetscapeRoot.
>>
>> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/AdminServer#Admin_Server_Config_Files
>

> If I delete all the files in the admin server config directory, will
> the restart-admin script rebuild these files from the directory?
No.  Only local.conf will be rebuilt.

>>> - How do you refresh the files in the config directory, so that they
>>> reflect changes you've made in the directory itself?
>> The surest way to make the Admin Server refresh its config based on
>> changes made in the DS is to restart the admin server.
>
> The behaviour I was seeing was that after modifying the directory and
> restarting the admin server, the only file that changed was local.conf.
Right.  console.conf, adm.conf, and shared/config/dbswitch.conf are
modified via console operations, via CGI programs.  They are not
modified via LDAP operations, and the admin server + console code has to
jump through some hoops to keep the data stored in LDAP in sync with the
corresponding data in those config files.