[Fedora-directory-users] pk12util error

Glenn glenn at mail.txwes.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:10:22 UTC 2006

I'm trying to get Windows Sync working on an evaluation copy of Red Hat
Directory Server 7.1 SP3.  I am stuck at the step where you export the
directory server's certificate to a file.  I use this command:

./pk12util -d . -P slapd-myserver- -o servercert.pfx -n Server-Cert

The response is:

Enter Password or Pin for "NSS Certificate DB"

After I enter the password, I get this error message:

pk12util-bin: find user certs from nickname failed: security library: bad
database.

I have followed all the instructions for setting up SSL in the directory
server and the admin server several times.  The server and CA certificates
have been requested and installed.  Everything looks correct in the console
screens.  The slapd-myserver-cert8.db and slapd-myserver-key3.db files
exist.  I got tired of retyping the path to the pk12util file, so I copied
it to the alias directory containing the certificates and databases.

What are some things I can try to get pk12util working?  Or is there another
way to export the certificate and key so that I can import them into the
Windows certificate store?  Could this be an NSS problem?  Should I look for
an NSS update?

I will try just about anything, but the boss is real keen on using Red Hat,
as he believes the longer development cycle will make it easier to maintain
in the long run.  However, if Fedora Directory Server is the only option
that works, I may be able to present it that way.  I apologize for the off-
topic question, but there doesn't seem to be any support for the evaluation
of RHDS.  Thanks.   -Glenn.