[Fedora-directory-users] multiple naming attributes in DN

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 14:05:59 UTC 2006

gennaro.tortone at na.infn.it wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ok,
> suppose a company has various site in the world,
> and each site has its own LDAP Directory in order to authenticate
> local users (e.g. Fedora Directory Server)
>
> now,
> suppose that this company has a set of "collective services"
> (e.g. mailing lists, web portal, ...) available to all sites;
>
> I study a solution to provide a "global autentication" for all users
> of this company that authenticate themself to use "collective services";
>
> The solution I'm studing is based on Oracle Virtual Directory;
> this software aggregates various LDAP datasources and publish
> them in a global LDAP tree:
>
> As example:
>
> SITE 1
> ------
> authentication server:     fds-auth.site1.company.com
> site1 users basedn:    ou=People,dc=site1,dc=company,dc=com
>
> SITE 2
> ------
> authentication server:    fds-auth.site2.company.com
> site2 users basedn:    ou=People,dc=site2,dc=company,dc=com
>
> VIRTUAL DIRECTORY
> -----------------
>
> aggregates users from:
>     - ou=People,dc=site1,dc=company,dc=com
>     - ou=People,dc=site2,dc=company,dc=com
>
> in a "virtual LDAP server" under the basedn:
>     - ou=People,dc=company,dc=com
>
> If the company has an Apache webserver available to all site,
> it should be possible to use the Virtual Directory Server
> as authentication source for all users;
>
> but the problem is:
> each site LDAP tree is merged on a single _virtual_ LDAP tree...
Why do you need to have everyone under a single ou=People under
dc=company,dc=com?  Unless I misunderstand something, almost all
authentication apps should be able search for a unique attribute under
dc=company,dc=com that has two or more dc=siteX under it.
> what happen if there are two users on two different sites
> with the same "uid=..." ?
Aye, there's the rub.  This really boils down to an application
problem.  Each application doing authentication against the DS (apache,
pam, etc.) needs to be able to specify a unique attribute during login
(e.g. have to type in the email address at the login prompt rather than
a uid).

You can still easily allow uid for some logins if your application is
site specific and you will never have anyone from another site try to
login - e.g. for all machines in the site1.company.com domain, you can
configure PAM to lookup uid's under dc=site1,dc=company,dc=com.  But as
soon as you want to allow users from other sites to login, you can no
longer use uid.

I don't know if there is a way to tell PAM to do a multi stage lookup e.g.
First, look for uid under dc=site1.  If that fails, look for uid under
dc=company.  If that fails, or returns multiple entries, look for email
under dc=company.