[Fedora-directory-users] RPM/SRPM issues and old RHEL

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 16:32:54 UTC 2006

Oscar A. Valdez wrote:
> El jue, 05-10-2006 a las 07:57 -0600, Richard Megginson escribió:
>
>> We are making progress.  Note that the next major (i.e. not patch)
>> release of the product will use discrete RPM packaging, and each
>> discrete RPM will have a buildable SRPM.
>> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Discrete_Packaging
>>

> Thanks for the info.
>
> 1) When do you expect the packages to be available?

Don't know.  We are hoping to have a beta in the next couple of weeks.
> 2) Will the FC5 packages conform to the FHS?

We have proposed this to the Fedora DS community.  There has been much,
much heated debate on both sides of this issue.  Some people vehemently
oppose FHS package, some welcome and encourage it.  The Fedora DS
developers are still trying to figure out a way to do what's right for
the community.  We can certainly make it easy to build your own package
from source using either FHS or self-contained style packaging.  The
real problem is that it is very difficult to provide binary packages and
documentation for both formats . . .